Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Group marketing for artists

We had our second meeting on Sunday. We now have 9 artists that have decided to pool our time and resources to get aggressive with our self promotion. Not only do we have a very diverse range of art, we have a very diverse skill set and contact base. I could never do this on my own! My studio mates and I have been struggling to get things off the ground with 3 of us.

The goals for this week are:
decide on a group name, one that defines what we are doing and that is search engine friendly.
Research local venues that support and encourage art shows, like local coffee houses and restaurants
Laying out a promo piece that includes printed material and a CD with additional images and information.

I am very interested in following up on corporate sales. It seems that articles geared at helping artists in the marketplace talk a lot about corporate sales, directly to corporate curators, through art advisors, and online. I am hoping to find resources at the local library or at the local university libraries. So far my online searches aren't producing much. There are large online galleries that sale primarily to large corporations but they don't make it easy for artists to submit material to be considered.

Outside of research this week, I am going to work on SEO for the Carter Building Alliance website and my own. One of our members presented some great articles on SEO and I found a few new ideas that I hadn't thought about before.

Marketing is a very large undertaking and very time consuming. I've always felt overwhelmed and not gotten very far along before I 'find something better' to do! Now I can take it one step at a time, one day at a time, and know that I am accountable to the group that is eager to hear what I learn and to share their new gained knowledge.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment