Saturday, October 30, 2010

Studying CSS

I have spent the last week trying to get my website done. I finally got the homepage to look the way I want it too and to work! I learned how to use Photoshop’s slice tool. I don’t have Photoshop books so I relied on the internet to find help. The tutorial was very straight forward, I took good step-by-step notes and it still didn’t work! For some reason, moving the html and CSS didn’t work out and I ended up with a grid of broken links to boot. When I tried to save the slices with the code, the page went from being  centered in the browser to hugging the left side. I spent an afternoon messing with the CSS and could never get the page right. Finally I simply saved the sliced image for the web without the code and was able to copy and paste it into Dreamweaver. I still had to link the parts of the image to the grid but I didn’t have to hack the code.

I am using a horizontal scroll to showcase my portfolio. You would think all that was needed was to reverse the coding for height and width. It’s never that simple! This time the information I found online worked without much fuss. I also finally found out how to make the navigation bar and footer stick and always be visible when the page is scrolled. I figured that I was set to input info and be done. I used a table to hold the images; I then tried to use the same template to present two pages of information ie my resume and bio. The pages don’t fit into a table very well so I tried to replace the table with 2 columns. I still haven’t figured out what went wrong! All the variations that I have tried crop off the left side of my page. My task for tomorrow is to create a new template with columns. I have spent the last few days reading about CSS. Right now I am reading The Missing Manual for CSS, I’m up to the chapters about layout, maybe I’ll figure out what happened, I think the problem is in the cascade.

In the mean time, the signs for the Carter Building came in and my husband and another tenant hung them Thursday night. I’ve gotten the paperwork for the registration of the logo re-filed; I hope I’m free to start another project! The walk to cure juvenile diabetes was this morning so I’m finished with that too. I’m about ready for an early bedtime – it was an early start this morning and very cold!

I actually participated in a linked-in discussion yesterday! That sounds pretty lame but it felt good to have something to share. Someone wanted a recommendation on books to read to learn web design – boy do I have a great list!! Being a part of design groups is a great way to collect information about web design, I’m creating several files that will come in handy. Last week I was reading about CSS3 and the new way fonts are being handled; the design groups just happened to have links to great font sites last week – perfect.

Tomorrow I need to get my business cards ordered and also a few different greeting card designs; First Friday is only 6 days away and I’m about to screw up again! I also want to spend some quality time with my website – I need to get it back online. There just aren’t enough hours in the day – and since tomorrow is Halloween, we’re going to the movies which will shorten my work day considerably. I know it sounds like a poor sport not to stick around and pass out candy but we don’t get many  trick or treat visitors and I hate the left-over candy!

 

business-card-logo-web

No comments:

Post a Comment